[dba-Tech] the problem was flash, not chrome

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 14 12:26:45 CDT 2015

On an old geezer of a box running 64-bit Win7Pro in 4G of RAM, with no
capacity for RAM expansion, Chrome was often eating up to a gigabyte of
memory /per tab/, inciting swap thrashing. No amount of Chrome tuning
could dissuade it from such behaviour.

Till I added the "FlashControl" Chrome extension, which immediately made
the memory problem vanish---no tab now uses even 200KB no matter how
long it's been open---and also removed the annoyance of unwanted,
intrusive flash videos launching themselves and disturbing the cherished
quiet in this room. The tiny price I pay for this boon is that in the
unlikely event I do wish to play a flash video, I must click on it.

Jes' sayin'.

PB