[dba-Tech] Has anyone kickstarted?

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 06:29:08 CDT 2015

The spectrum analyzer is on the way. I will likely be joining one of
those "maker space" things, though there are none local so it will be a
drive to get there.  That will give me access to 3D printers and such.
I need to do a good prototype and do some extensive testing.  There is a
lot of absorption spectrometry going on now that this inexpensive widget
is available.

It "feels" like this should work.  It is something that I personally
want and would just pay for if it already existed.

I have in fact found a company doing something similar, though they only
test for hardness and Ammonia, not PH, Nitrate or Nitrite. They do cover
water temp. logging etc.  Slickly packaged and a slick web page. Lots of
add-ons and consumables to drive the price up. They also do what appears
to be a submersible camera probe (extra cost add-on) to do light
analysis at the bottom of the aquarium.

All of which gives me hope that the idea does in fact have legs.  I have
the programming chops to do computer analysis and automation.

One way or the other it will be a fun project.

John W. Colby