[dba-Tech] spectroscopy continued - was Has anyone kickstarted

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 14:07:15 CDT 2015

Just a followup, I received my Public Lab Spectrometer yesterday and got
it built today.  Got it connected to Windows 7 and displaying a spectrum
on their web page

http://spectralworkbench.org/capture

Using a way too powerful LED flashlight to shine through a titrated
sample measuring ammonia level in water, I got a spectrum, different
from no sample.  Basically the blue end was completely attenuated
through a yellow liquid sample.

Next step is to build a contraption to hold a white LED light source
inside a dark chamber.  The widget will allow inserting a test tube
sample into a hole, which inserts the test tube into the light path.
The widget will then prevent light from getting around the sample, but
light going through the sample will continue on to strike the
collimation slit, and thus into the spectrometer.

With that done, I can get repeatable light samples whose spectrograph is
representative of the color and density of the sample.

I am not yet sure of how to proceed from that point.  Obviously I need
to measure the intensity along the spectrum, every X tics along the
axis.  Something like that