[dba-Tech] Windows 10 anyone?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon May 25 22:27:29 CDT 2015

Hi Arthur:

I have, at least this weekend, but my experience was not quite as pleasant. That said, the product is very pretty. :-)

The first issue I ran into was a BIOS issue which was reported as "not a 64 bit computer" error...nothing to do with it...it was Virtual Intel VT-x/EPT BIOS toggle error. Note, that no motherboard comes with this switch toggles on so you might think MS might check and give an appropriate error response.

This error was followed by two registry errors but fortunately, there was a couple of command line scripts, posted, that saved the day plus forcing an update.

Finally, when trying to setup the network domain and IP addresses is a bear, to say the least.  It probably started when I responded "yes" to a single home computer. Windows did not even check for the local network or Active Windows server or any servers for that matter and created it own IP address range (???).

Then having to fix this error is not simple. One set of instructions, off the internet, gave information, on how to access the "System Properties" suggested enter "join a domain" in the search bar and connect to the result. I had a few errors until the system had an update and that froze the OS and required a full boot to unlock. That is obviously not the proper way but the writer could find no other way to access that information. When adding the domain name the computer still requires a full system reboot. (I have become use to just stopping and starting the appropriate service).

Next, the OS demands to resolve a connection to a DHCP server. By default it connects remotely to the Cloud...you can see where this is going...when IP addresses and server are matching (on the same network) and the Windows 10 box can see all systems public addresses, via command prompt, "arp -r" but can not connect to the network's shares and printers. If you allow the system to "fix" the DHCP problem, the IP addresses change back to the default setting...and now the internet is available but still nothing is available on the network. The only way I resolved this issue was by editing the Hosts files in the system directory. There is obviously something I am missing with this problem but I can find nothing about, in Google, on how Windows 10 establishes the relationship between DHCP and the default IP addresses...it can not be this tough or no one would use Windows 10.

If you or anyone else can figure out what the issue is, lead/link me to a explanation, I would be greatly appreciative.

That said, the OS is very nice. The attention to detail is very good but this is still very much a beta product with lots of bug to fix and updates needed. I somehow expected differently but it is just like any of the other bleeding Linux distros I have played with. :-)