[dba-Tech] Tethering your computer

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 22:58:33 CST 2015

Stuart,

I think this is the one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-micro-usb-to-hdmi-adapter-white/2003027.p?id=1219068212097&skuId=2003027

I left it on the boat so am not absolutely sure.  It works great with
the sole problem that:

1) You have to provide the HDMI cable - standard male-male
2) You have to provide the power adapter.  This is an issue because
while it does pass power through to the tablet, it still very slowly
discharges.  At least with the adapter I was using.

But hey, it does what it says it will and my tablet turns into a little
dumb terminal.

It really doesn't take much horsepower to do RD functionality.  Plus I
can now surf the web etc on a large monitor via my little android
tablet.  Complete with mouse and keyboard.  Of course there are times
when you just have to physically touch the screen, specifically for the
back button and home button which cannot be "touched" with the mouse.

I am remoting into a VM server, and from there RDing across into
multiple different VMs.  The remote VMs do what they do and only push
video back to me.

The OI is working great.  It really is a sweet boat and in stellar
shape.  With the typical "for a 42 year old boat" disclaimer.  I
replaced the two batteries with matching AGM marine batteries, then had
to replace the power cord which was just old and not staying in the
stanchion.  Now all is cool electrically.  I had to pay to repack the
stuffing box which was leaking badly.  Luckily I found a skinny kid to
wiggle down through an access hatch in the quarter berth into the area
aft of the motor and do it.  So that is fixed.

You know, sailboat stuff.  Those two things were my only "gotta do this
immediately" things.

I spent 11 days mostly motoring it back down to North Carolina. Came
home and spent three weeks back here, a week back over there, two weeks
home.  Next week back at the boat.

Not getting as much boat time as I would like but that is my own doing.