[dba-Tech] MySQL gurus

John R Bartow jbartow at winhaven.net
Thu Nov 26 11:20:41 CST 2015

Lol!

Sorry Gustav,
I was not doing that. What I have is an inventory of client assets via my
online RMS and I have a choice of how to search for information.

One is via HTML report - which was an awful way to do it, there was just too
much data and the browser took forever to search through it.

Another is XML dump. I this and that is also quite awful. I think it has to
do with the way the database is set up in the first place but there is
nothing I can do to change that.

Then I tried the sqldump. I had to use an SQL database to import the data as
I could not find a way to do that directly in Access. So I choose the MySQL
route. Which after overcoming the 32/64bit ODC Manager issue worked very
well. Maybe because I'm an old relational database guy and am familiar with
Access and so was able to overcome their DB design with queries.

I spent less time installing MySQL on the server, setting up the ODBC
connection, importing the data into MySQL and then into Access, creating a
query and finding the items I needed than what 3 searches took in the HTML
or XML files.

Reinforced my faith in relational databases :-)

Regards,
John