[dba-Tech] Cable modem speed reduction by router

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 9 11:46:50 CDT 2015

Hi John:

I do not know what particular issues you are facing in that network. I could direct you (see below) to many pieces of monitoring software but I have found in medium to large networks, especially with mixed NICs (10/100/1000) a good Switch can dramatically increase a network's performance. Hubs in mixed speed traffic always degrade to the lowest common denominator. Switches, OTOH handle each connection separately, maintain connections (no more scanning once a connection is established), can isolate parts of an network and will allow for easier isolation of faulty LAN cards and other performance hogs.

I tend to first test the performance of the ISP using a direct connection through their cable modem. ISPs around here tend be continuously changing performance rates and which always seem to degrade but fortunately more money can always solve the bandwidth problems.

Routers are another set of issues. Unless you get good routers they just use "hub" technology on their ports so they should never be used in a business environment for connecting stations in the network. All performance that may have been gained by using a switch will be lost. The router you are using is not a cheap one. It has also been noted that its performance and through-put is slow though its connection stability is good. If real performance is needed the latest crop of ASUS routers have the top rating this year but if good WiFi is an absolute requirement expect to pay double what was currently paid. (It should be noted that you will never get top performance out of a WiFi connection...it is always slow/slower/slowest)

Aside: Software tend to be the weakest link in most routers. Performance, security, stability and feature gains can be acquired from drivers via OpenWrt software (table of supported hardware: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start) but if this is beyond your comfort zone, I would not pursue it any further.

For a group of network testing software check out the following: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/network-benchmark-test-your-network-speed (I have not used any of these pieces of software, so I take no responsibility or credit, but understand that some are very good). There is of course the definitive Wireshark (https://www.wireshark.org/) but it is a serious and complex product and should probably only be used if you are trying to find compromised computers on a network.

HTH