[dba-Tech] Use a VM to create a disk image

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 19 22:50:50 CDT 2015

Hi John:

In theory, it should be easy but I have never gone that route. I would have a tendency to just get any XP disk, there are probably a few around, and do the deed as Microsoft wants nothing to do with that dead OS. Just image the drive first and maybe the COM ports are in fact borked so it may require a new box so I would try moving the hard drive to another beater box before writing off the old system.

OTOH, (...and you know what I am going to say. ;-)) if the clients have copies of the original application they wish to run, it can easily be run-up on a Ubuntu Linux box. Linux has a good dozen applications designed support Windows apps from DOS on up. If I was there I could help you and run it up in around an hour and your customer would have the old application running on a super secure and fast operating system with little expense to yourself or client.