[dba-Tech] "Take a sad song and make it better..." - Web browsers' testing automation with Selenium WebDrivers from LucidChart.com :)

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 25 15:03:06 CDT 2015

Hi All:

Further to the post Shamil gave, I would like to extend my observations to the state of web development. First I should preface, the following comments with; I have not been very active in any real website development for a few years but have continued to follow the trends and technology and have a number of observations.

In a web site development, using a framework should be mandatory.

When it comes to websites, I like Yeoman's adaptable framework as there is so many components, in today's sites that just missing or making a mistake in one part of the layout can be very serious. Businesses using the web, for more than a postcard/facebook are completely exposed to anyone in the world regardless of the audiences intentions and seeing the company's whole future depends on their website...the site must be near perfect. Beyond just having an adaptable pretty face, security, flexibility, scalability, performance, reliability, is a must, and has to be incorporated within the latest technology.

Aside: One complaint I have is; no longer can professional web sites be built by a single developer, unless he/she has six months available without interruption and an extensive knowledge of all the disciplines...and who can afford to have a good website built without a lot of resources to pay for it.

This is also why so many sites are getting hacked. The costs of building a good secure site is so expensive that site owners are running fully exposed and hoping the insurance will cover any losses, in the "unlikely" event, they actually are breached. OTOH, insurance companies are raising the cost of insurance and starting to take legal action against companies that have badly secured sites...so we shall see how that plays out.

It should be noted that this trend may create a good business climate for all the web developers out there.