[dba-Tech] Windows 10 drivers NVIDIA geforce monitor - Final

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 00:38:18 CDT 2016

Yep.  Rather old now.  The SQL Server is more powerful though. It is a
dual cpu with 8 cores per cpu and 80 gb RAM, a TB of SSD raid 6, and
about 8 TB rotating raid 6.  Again built probably 5 years ago now,
actually "upgraded" at that time.  The Server chips are AMD and not
particularly fast at around 2.2 ghz, but with 16 real cores it still
pretty much does the trick.

Windows 2008 X64 and SQL Server 2008 64.  SQL Server can and does
utilize all of the cores at some times, though often it will then use
just one core.  Rather odd actually.  But all of my databases are
compressed so that they load into memory compressed and are uncompressed
on-the-fly.  Which gives all those cores something to do.  :)  In many
cases, even though the databases can be pretty large, I can often fit
much of it in memory all at once.  Thus a "memory database"... kinda sorta.

SQL Server is a pretty powerful beast.

Sadly MS changed their licensing model such that they now charge on a
per core basis which pretty much killed AMD's advantage.  Intel is such
a nasty company sometimes.
But that is why I stuck with 2008, and will for a loooong time.  I
cannot afford to license 16 cores in the more modern versions.