[dba-Tech] "Computer Connections: People, Places, and Events in the Evolution of the Personal Computer Industry."

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 17:04:01 CDT 2016

My first computer was a home built (in 1976) s-100 (a standard bus in
the early days) based Zilog Z80 microprocessor with a whopping 24
kilobytes or static ram.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zilog

It ran the Zapple monitor and had a cassette interface and loaded 12K
Zapple basic, which took 4 minutes to load.  And crashed often.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapple_Monitor

Those were the days when if you wanted something, you bought kits from
advertisements in the back of Popular Electronics.  I was a Data Systems
Technician in the Navy and so I understood electronics and trouble
shooting, but not programming.

My second machine was another home built (in 1981) SBC (single board
computer) which had an 80186 uP and 256K of dynamic RAM.  Back in those
days you could "stack" ram chips on top of each other (only two deep)
and so I doubled that to 512 KB or Dynamic RAM.  It had a Serial chip
for a dumb monitor and a floppy disk interface, and I purchased a double
drive 1 mbyte floppy.  It ran CPM and Turbo Pascal, and later Turbo C
from Borland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_Pascal

Hot stuff in 1981.

It was on this system that I really learned how to program.  In 1980 I
went to work for a graphics terminal company called MegaTek Corp. based
out of Sorrento Valley California, back before Sorrento Valley was even
a real place.

https://books.google.com/books?id=hq5JF_-p3CUC&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=megatek+corporation+1980&source=bl&ots=PjpAClYdhx&sig=ZatELeUxNwPzsKwGIKW4brrDhUU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl0KTro7DOAhUEYiYKHeagD5UQ6AEIQzAH#v=onepage&q=megatek%20corporation%201980&f=false

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorrento_Valley,_San_Diego

I was a field engineer and later a bench technician fixing their
graphics terminals.  One day (in 1983?) I found 5 engineering samples of
their low end graphics terminals in the trash.  Of course I dragged them
out and hooked one up to my SBC.

https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_megatek251raphicsProtocolApr1985_6736234

This machine was a full on graphics terminal with all the bells and
whistles, and cost about $15,000 at retail.  I fixed them but had no
clue how to program them, but I had a friend who was a programmer
writing their drivers for the DEC VAX machines that they would normally
run on.  He helped me get my SBC set up and running Turbo Pascal, and
showed me how to write a subroutine for each instruction of the graphics
terminal.  He wrote a few then turned me loose.  A few months later I
had written drivers for each of the (unknown number) of graphics
instructions for drawing lines, scaling, spinning and moving these lines
around on the screen, all done by the terminal itself, driven by my
SBC.  A couple of months after that I had a three-D sphere drawn out of
triangles which I could rotate, scale and translate (move across an axis).

And so a programmer was born.  :)

This was all in the early 80s.  By 1986 I was trading DOWN to an Epson
PC clone.  The only thing more powerful than my SBC was that it had a 8
mb hard disk.  Ooooooohhhhh.  It ran DOS and various flavors of dos clones.

That was one of two computers that I bought assembled, after which I
built my own from parts from places like local computer stores (the rage
back then), CompUSA and later NewEgg.

And yep, in 1987 I bought Lotus 123, DBase and Wordstar, but my focus
was programming in Turbo pascal and Turbo C.  Then in 1991 I ran into
this completely bizarre "event driven" thing called Access, which ran on
Windows 3 and the rest, as they say, is history.

Just an aside, in 1984, Megatek had a Vax 11/780 which ran the entire
company, from programmers to stock room. It ran 1 million instructions
per second and could address one mByte of RAM.  And I DREAMED of owning
one of these things.

http://www.old-computers.com/history/detail.asp?n=20&t=3

Today I own a Samsung S7 phone which has 4 cores, each running several
ghz, and has 4 gbytes of ram, and it is my own supercomputer (only
dreamed of in 1984) in my pocket.