[dba-Tech] Bash shell

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 11 20:34:25 CDT 2016

Hi John:

You are right. The Bash shell is not running like a VM but running through a translation layer. The Linux shell processes are run against a series of apps via the powershell. There is not a one to one correlation between Windows and Linux functionality. On Linux each Linux process is a single standalone entity which is multi-user, multi-tasking and can spawn many associated processes but by its design is separated from the kernel. If a Linux process, for some reason fails, it has no impact on core processes...most likely it is quietly aborted, all its memory allocation is cleared and it carries on as if nothing happened.

The Windows desktop is self-contained stand-alone system. There is only one user and its multi-tasking is built on percentage of processes being used. Too many processes running at once or an attempt to run multi-users will result in a system panic and the famous blue-screen. For Windows part it now has been built much more stable or is much better at recovering from mini-crashes..I don't know which. Windows still does not have the ability to recover from a serious system error by completely cleaning up the affected and damaged processes and continuing on.

Aside: Linux is so powerful because it can combine processes or even computers, thousands of computers and their processes, together as a single entity. China is now the owner of the most powerful super-computer, in the world. Its design is not particularly sophisticated. They just took thousands of Linux boxes and connected them together... If a competitor gets too close in matching processing power, few hundred more boxes and the challenger disappears in the rear-vision mirrors. In the future, I do not see ever bigger networks being created but computer clusters...much like all the big computer companies...I would like to see all this capability in all sizes of business, each a cluster, fully interdependent use of hardware and software. We are not there yet but very close.

In conclusion, that is why I say that Windows, in its current form, is just a more advanced single user machine and that by design limits its capability, reliability and by nature, its security.