[dba-Tech] The wonders of the Raspberry PI

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 4 22:52:10 CST 2016

I have heard good things about the Odroid but have not seen it in use...yet. What OS do you have on the device?

If the Odroid is anything like the Raspberry it runs of 5 watts or less...and supports only devices using 5 watts or less. Most of the new screens have hdmi ports in them. I have been looking around for a small cheap one but if the Odroid is setup with a WiFi you can just run it remotely and you wouldn't have to worry about other accessories.

The Raspberry has 4 USB ports, a hdmi port, a earphone port and a port for the NIC...same as Odroid.

I have heard some very impressive things about OpenCPN but have not seen Navionics. I might try and run up OpenCPN on one of my Ubuntu stations to see how it runs...it might even run on the Raspberry. ;-)

I have heard of some very small screens you can get for items like the PI and Odroid but if I remember the price seemed high.