[dba-Tech] The wonders of the Raspberry PI

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 04:39:05 CST 2016

One problem with the Raspberry Pi is that all of the USB ports AND the
NIC all share the bandwidth of a single I/O pin of the processor, i.e.
if you have high bandwidth on a usb the available bits per second of the
NIC (and all other USB ports) is reduced.

AFAICT that is not true of the Odroid.  It also has gigabit NIC.

So it seems that the Odroid has much higher available bandwidth for all
of the usb ports as well as an entirely separate circuit for the NIC.

The available small screens for these machines are small and low
resolution.  Great for controller styuff but not for things like
OpenCPN, where at least for me, I want a 13" or higher screen.