[dba-Tech] Wippien - was Re: Remote take over programs

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 04:59:07 CST 2016

I am trying to remote into virtual machines all running on a VM server
colocated in a company a thousand miles away from my desktop.  So I do
not have physical access to any of the physical or virtual machines I
need access to.  Further my home office now uses my phone for it's wifi.

The world is indeed changing, and there is no single solution which just
works.  I can double hop RD through the physical server to any of the
VMs but it is slow.  I was just trying to get direct access to the VMs,
using a VPN to host the RD.  Wippien is working just fine for that (once
set up).

I had used Hamachi for years but LogMeIn bought it and turned it into a
proprietary pay app.  It has very real, very annoying issues with only
getting a relay connection in many cases which reduces the bandwidth
down into the kilo BIT range if that happens.  They don't appear to
know, nor care how or why that occurs and will not help when it
happens.  So I moved on.

Remote desktop is rock solid.  It is extremely low bandwidth.  All of my
machines, from my desktop, to my servers, to my VMs run Windows.  All
this Windows infrastructure (VM Server / VMs) was developed over many
years and has been running rock solid for many years.

X2Go may work well for you but it is just not even close to applicable
in my specific situation, AND it requires my learning and injecting
Linux into an otherwise entirely Windows setup AND it requires doing so
in a physical environment a thousand miles away from me.