[dba-Tech] SQL express version question

Zimmer, Michael Michael.Zimmer at federalmogul.com
Wed Jul 27 11:00:25 CDT 2016

Hello All,

Currently at my work, we use literally dozens of MS Access databases that clients utilize across our LAN.
Now we are looking at migrating to a SQL Server.  So a couple of us here are beginning to dabble in SQL.  Due to company policy, we have to only deal with Microsoft products, so I've been looking at the different flavors of SQL Server Express Edition.

My question is what version of SQL Server Express should we be learning on?  2014?  Or 2016?   What is the difference, if any, between the versions?  Any advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Kindest personal regards,

Mike