[dba-Tech] SQL express version question

Fred Hooper fahooper at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 10:38:07 CDT 2016

HI Michael,

I faced the same question when I started converting a single, but very
complex application. I started with 2012, primarily because I already
had a copy of that development version. After a bit, I did some research
and found the two points below, which were persuasive for me:

 1. 2014 brought the ability to better handle complex queries
 2. 2016 lost the ability to control when and if updates were applied
    (Express version only)

I changed the back end to 2014 and could immediately see the speed
differences with 2014, which I expect to remain with. I'm now about half
done with the first stage of the conversion.

Best,
Fred