[dba-Tech] ISP hosts that support MariaDB

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 05:52:14 CDT 2016

Perhaps I'm among the few with a particular problem. As a former devotee of
MySQL, when Monty and the crew left following the Oracle acquisition of
Sun, and inherited Sun's purchase of MySQL, and Monty and crew left to form
MariaDB, I developed a serious interest in MariaDB.

MariaDB does everything MySQL does, and then some. It's IMO a much better
database. But so far, not too many ISP hosts support it. I'd like to
compile a list of those that do.

We have a site that runs on a MySQL host. I'd like to find another site
that offers MariaDB in lieu of MySQL hosting.

Anybody know of one or some?

One might ask, Why? The question and the problem feels strangely
reminiscent of the good old days, back when the issue was choosing between
Fox Software or (God forbid!) dBASE III and IV, as opposed to biting the
bullet and embracing Clipper. I chose, back then, to embrace Clipper. That
choice cost me a gig here and there, mostly with slow-moving government
ministries and large corporations whose moves resembled those of the sloth;
but in the end I was proved correct. And I think the same holds true now:
MariaDB is a better product, with a development team that has proved its
integrity over the years, and features and performance that leave Oracle
MySQL playing catch-up.

And all this is wonderful, for me, developing at home. But then comes the
gap: many hosts that support MySQL do not support MariaDB, so I have to be
careful when suggesting a migration to my clients, or developing a new
product for a potential new client-base.

I might be able to leap this hurdle with a list of providers prepared to
host MariaDB. If you know of any, please advise, with contact details, and
I'll take it from there.

A.

--
Arthur