[dba-Tech] clean up

Dan Waters df.waters at outlook.com
Thu Mar 24 20:17:56 CDT 2016

Hi Susan,

Make sure you have sufficient hard drive space for the updates before that
gets started.
1) Download a free program named TreeSize (free version).  You can use this
to show a sort of all the folders on your drive in order of size.  This
gives you an idea of what might be taking up all your hard drive space, and
where it makes sense to look first.

2) If you're using a hard drive you can defrag it.  If it's an SSD then
don't.  An SSD would be 2 - 3 times faster than a hard drive.
3) Clean the registry if you haven't for a while.
4) Download a copy of CCleaner.  This has a number of good utilities
(including registry cleaning).  My favorite is that you can set this to run
every time you turn on the PC so that CCleaner will remove all the junk that
you've collected (especially cookies). (you can whitelist certain locations
if you want)

BOL!
Dan