[dba-Tech] R.I.P. Guinevere

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 10:27:03 CST 2016

She's a poor little duck and everything I have tried has failed to revive
her. I think that she is gone, my beloved Guinevere. Now the question is,
what do I do with her remains? Specifically, her RAM and hard drives? The
RAM may be of no use but the hard drives work -- I think.

So what? Do I build a coffin and bury her, which is exactly what I did with
an old cat named Scotia -- took two days to build her coffin  and then
interred her while surrounded by a group of friends who loved her.

I don't think any of my friends loved Guinevere the way I did, They just
tell me to move on and get a new wife. It's not that easy. I wrote several
books and hundreds of magazine articles with her help, and even though I
have backups, that's not the issue.

It's heart-breaking. I can't just toss her into a recycle-bin. I can't do
that. I guess that I have defined the definition of a geek/nerd --someone
who weeps at the death of a computer.

Everyone says, it's just a chunk of metal; move on, get over her. there are
lots of tuna in the ocean, and stuff like that. That doesn't erase the pain
of her demise.

Can anyone advise an amateur on how to determine which part is failing? I
could replace that part and Guinevere might recover from her illness,
perhaps only to be demoted to "Email/Printer Server" or somesuch. For about
$120 CDN, I can replace her with much more contemporary equipment, but
that's not the point. Much as adults hesitate to place their parents in a
retirement home, I hesitate as well.

There's another issue, albeit a side issue. Several times over the past ~30
years, especially in the early days, when something broke or was replaced
by something faster and smarter, I tossed the older stuff into the bin...
only to discover that it was now worth many times what I paid originally. I
was young and stupid, and don't want to repeat that error again.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Jim Lawrence <accessd at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Arthur, I am the king of rebuilding computers but sometimes these old
> boxes have to be retired...technology has moved on so far in twenty years
> that most modern software wouldn't work...regardless of the OS.
>
> Jim

Arthur