[dba-Tech] Linux 4.8 released with a bug

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 6 14:21:30 CDT 2016

Hi All:

It appears that the latest Linux version, 4.8 has bugs in it and it appears that Linus Torvalds has singles out a specific programmer, which seems very unprofessional.

http://bit.ly/2dVQ7Uo and http://bit.ly/2dBHKdf

But upon further investigation the bug(s) are not really bugs but are from a bug handling event left in the code, designed to catch errors, after it had been shipped. A particular programmer tasked with doing the finally cleanup over-looked the error event. Attached is a link to the code left in the shipped latest version, which now will just have to be shipped again. It is unlikely that upline developers have started to deploy this version as the error was caught so quickly but... Considering that Linus officially told all his development teams to never use a particular bedugging feature as early as 2002.

https://lwn.net/Articles/13183/

Aside: I had a similar problem many years ago, in this case it was with VB, because I forgot to remove my testing code....a very embarrassing management demonstration followed.