[dba-Tech] Cross Posted - What to use to create a virtual machine with linux

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 30 14:33:25 CDT 2016

Hi Paul:

That is a massive subject. I like you, but in my case, more than ten years ago, I started looking at Linux. The revelation came when I realized that the further I got away from the Desktop and started supporting the corporate, scientific, startup communities, it is a Linux (UNIX) world. From then on I have never looked back.

This is not to say I do not like Microsoft but I am just no longer one of the fanboz. IMHO, in a decade or so, Windows will just be another Distro on top of a Linux core. I could go into great lengths as why this event is the future but...

The thought that I can download for free, a computer system that runs the most powerful computers on the planet and run it on my desktop has always delighted me.

If you wish to run Linux from within a VD, on your computer, no problem. Both VirtualBox and VMWare fully support all versions of Linux (After all they are both written on top of core Linux) or you could run it on a Microsoft Hyper-V server (its free...and of course written on/from core Linux). Just download the ISOs and install them in an instance on the VD of your choice.

If you want to learn more about Linux, checkout the following: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution
The graphic on the right side of the page is staggering...and also may be confusing because there are is so many specialty versions of Linux and there are more every day. Check out: https://distrowatch.com/. It's like a bubbling cauldron, the list just keeps changing every day.

That all said, the most popular non-linux user friendly distros out there today are;
1. Linux Mint at: https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
2. Ubuntu 16.10 at: http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.10/
3. Mate Ubuntu 16.10: https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/

These versions, come in 32bit or 64bit, have a number of graphical desktop displays, if so desired, all have a whole raft of preloaded software, can run every application you mentioned. If you wish to migrate all your personal Microsoft products to Linux, the simple software layer called WINE or WINES's big brother CrossOver: https://www.codeweavers.com/ can fill the bill. I have never run CrossOver as WINE tends to be good enough as it runs all my Microsoft and Adobe programs just fine...MS Access just works, though of course, it has to be installed, just like you would on a Windows box.

I posted an article a week ago, about a developer, who having spent his career developing on a Windows platform decided on a whim to migrate to Linux. It took him a couple of days to get everything he needed up and running but now he is there: http://bit.ly/2eJKLsv

I would have limited the verbiage but you asked very complex questions and a yes or no response just doesn't suffice. If you need any further help post here and I am sure there will be plenty of experts and even myself, to help you.