[dba-Tech] SSD Diagnoser

Jon Tydda jon at tydda.plus.com
Tue Sep 6 11:23:44 CDT 2016

Hi Rocky

Most SSD manufacturers have their own software that will monitor the
SSDs and upgrade the firmware if available. Best thing to do is find out
the manufacturer and model, and go to their website and look for it. You
just have to be lucky with the makes & models - the one I have in my
laptop I can upgrade the firmware with the Windows tool. The one in my
desktop (which I bought 6 months after) I have to create a boot CD and
do it from that, and there's a warning that it might lose all my data.
So I haven't bothered with that one :-)

If it's an SSD that came with the system, then HP (for example) will
usually carry the firmware updates for it, just like they do with BIOS
updates etc.

Jon