[dba-Tech] The Internet of Things

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 27 19:16:01 CDT 2017

With more and more IoT and those super small computers running everything, from lights to refrigerators, from single units to clusters of such devices within large industrial machines, centrally handling and monitoring all the equipment can become more difficult.

Dell, working within the Linux Foundation, has built and open source IoT server that can encompass an entire company network even extending across the web. Dell is not the only company involved with this design effort. (Even voice recognition hardware is compatible.) They have been working with the whose-who of the leading edge tech companies. (Yes, even Microsoft is involved but not as a founding member):

https://betanews.com/2017/04/24/linux-foundation-iot-open-source-edgex-foundry-ubuntu-canonical/
http://bit.ly/2qddRZ9

Aside: Now is a good time to get up to speed in IPv6. I am not sure when the product will be available for download, as it has just been announced this week, so we are talking Beta and maybe even Alpha, but anyone can go to EdgeXFoundary to register for notification: https://www.edgexfoundry.org/