[dba-Tech] Emotion vs. Dollars

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 10:51:59 CST 2017

I have only two computers, a nice laptop and an ancient HP Millenium tower,
the latter of which is exhibiting bizarre behaviour. Specifically, it can
power up, but no signal arrives at the monitor. Also, having powered up,
eventually it gives up and then dies. At some later point, it spontaneously
powers up again, tries valiantly, then once again expires.

For over a decade, this box has been my  fallback position, running email
etc. to free up the load on my laptop. I've owned her for so many years of
total reliability that I feel the need to resusitate her, but I suspect
that I could replace her for less than resusciation would cost. I guess
she's done her duty, and I suppose I could perform an organ-harvest and
plonk her big drive into whatever I replace her with. But it makes me sad
to do this. Who would have thought that one could have an emotional
relationship with a computer? And yet, apparently I do. Woe is me.

--
Arthur