[dba-Tech] Importing data into Access and creating primary and foreign keys

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 09:25:26 CDT 2018

Susan,

My suggestion would be to give the parent table a unique ID (PK) -
preferably an auto-increment.  I am assuming that you are carving sets
of fields out of "one big record".  Now the "one big record" has a
unique identifier, you can put that into the child records as you create
them as a temporary FK.  Make sure that each and every table you create
has an auto-increment PK in it.  That tells you which "one big record"
each child record came from.  Now add a FK back in the "one big record"
for the child table, and using that FK in the child record, place the
matching PK from the child back into the FK in the parent record.  Do
that for each child table carved out.

If you are carving out tables (fields in the parent) which themselves
have "child table" fields (not normalized once carved out), iterate the
concept.

Membership

Member

Mbr-Mbrshp will contain a record for each member with a given membership
PK.  Each member record will have the membership from which it came
since you placed that in there (as a FK) when you created the member table.

That at least gives you a starting point for the process.