[dba-Tech] g a dual boot laptop

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 26 23:27:57 CST 2018

Hi All:

Just for information sake, if you are trying to create another Partition on your new computer, do the following first:

Many new systems, with Windows 10 pre-installed, use BitLocker Encryption system for win 10 with TPM (Trusted Platform module). That's why you can't shrink your partition.

1. Turn off Bitlocker system by going to SETTING > SYSTEM > ABOUT > DEVICE ENCRYPTION > TURN OFF (you need to wait some minutes for ending process).
2. Turn on RUN window (window button + R) > type 'msconfig' > go to 'SERVICE' tab > unstick 'BitLocker Drive Encryption Service' and then Restart your computer (You will be prompted).
3. Then shrink partition normally in your computer. If the size is still small, you can use another tool like 'Mini Partition Wizard' :-) or EASEUS Partition Manager.(these tools are free) to resize your drive (you can't use these tools if the bitlocker system is turning on).
4. When everything is done, return on the BitLocker Encryption system and stick again in check box of 'BitLocker Drive Encryption Service'.
5. You will be prompted to Restart your computer.

I learn something new every day.