[dba-Tech] How to write beautiful code and more

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 28 18:00:43 CST 2018

One of the interesting areas as related to coding is our video (TV) sets.

Samsung TVs, from Korea have decided to use Tizen Linux to run their smart TV:

https://www.tizen.org/

Aside: Tried to hack our TV and thought, for a moment that I had "bricked it" but I did recover it.

The LG TVs, made in Korea, China and the US, use WebOS (Linux...Open webOS, HP webOS, Palm webOS and to LG webOS). Yes, you are right the Palm-pilot OS revised and improved.

http://webosose.org/develop/architecture/

Aside: If you want to hack your LG TV here is the webbrowser GUI for you, called Enact: https://www.npmjs.com/~enact

...and finally we come to Sony. Their TVs use (Xperia S Linux) Android and as such, not only is it's Linux code downloadable but you can run all your android apps on the Smart TVs. Even comes with a full version of Kodi so you can manage all your movies/videos/music/audio books/podcasts and so on. As you would expect Sony is hardly a bastion of open source but their TVs can be hacked and edited all the same.

Aside: In the likelihood of the inevitable here is a link on how to revived your bricked Sony TV:
https://sourcey.com/articles/flash-android-sony-xperia-on-linux

As all the code can be downloaded and reviewed what a great opportunity to explore and to learn more.