[dba-Tech] Boot-up problems

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 10:19:31 CST 2018

A couple of weeks ago my laptop suddenly could no longer boot. The little
lights on the front edge blink as usual, but the computer refuses to boot.
I hear a little repeated beep when I attempt to boot; other than that,
nothing happens.

Various external devices such as a backup drive and a DVD burner (the kind
that can use 25GB disks) power up. I have no idea what might be wrong, and
can't afford to have it repaired until month-end. Fortunately, I have a
couple of computers, so things could be worse.

One thing that worries me is that I'm running Windows 10; IOW, no boot disk
from which to re-install it if the hard drive is the problem. The way
around this is to return the machine to Dell for repair. I have no problem
with that; in my experience they have great service and will even send a
shipping box to safely house the machine. So if the hard disk turns out to
be the problem, Dell will re-install Windows 10 as part of the repair.

Since I'm long-past the warranty period, I'm anticipating that the repair
will cost over $100 and maybe even $200 -- which, at today's prices, is
approaching the cost of a new machine.

Any opinions on this? Or on what might be wrong with the laptop?

--
Arthur