[dba-Tech] sudden copy slowness

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 5 14:36:39 CDT 2018

Hi Peter:

Can I assume you have done all the standard tests to isolate the problem? Such as...

Is it only the two computers that are connecting that appear to have the problem? Are there other computers also demonstrating similar issues? If another new computer is added to the mix does the problem persist? Have you taken the offending computers out of the network and test each directly against the router? Have you ran internet speed test on each separately? Have you checked and/or upgraded the current NIC card drivers? Have you been monitoring performance via  the task-manager? Have you compared performance to other computers that have been running normally...item by item? Have you replaced the cables that connect the two computers with new Cat5 cables? Are both computers 64bit or are they mixed? Do error message ever appear? Is either computer slow booting? What type of hard-drives...SSD or spinning drives?

You can of course throw in a couple of extra same type LAN cards and connect through the same Switch or router...using different ports than previously.

My quess would be that the problem is related to only one computer and once the offender is isolated then you should be able to further reduce the issue to either hardware or software.

HTH