[dba-Tech] gigbit router for big house

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 5 20:13:18 CDT 2018

Trying to resolve a lan slowdown has made me aware how old our (NetGear)
router is. It's way past time I upgraded it.

It's a big 90-year-old sprawling 2-storey house with electronically
resistant stone walls. The router sits upstairs at the northeast corner
near 2 (sometimes 3 or 4) ethernet-connected 'puters (one of which is
getting a new NIC, per that thread). Ethernet cable & switches connect
to 3 more 'puters and a half-dozen other devices downstairs. A few
smartphones & tablets connect via wifi, upstairs & downstairs (where
there are two wifi extenders).

This is in a wee southern town, internet is slow and can't be reliably
sped up but the lan has to be reasonably fast.

So routers like the NetGear 6700 or the TP-Link AC1750 look like fits,
and sure enough there are lots of favourable reviews for them, but there
are also enogh horror stories to give me pause.

So I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

PB