[dba-Tech] Micron SSD

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 11:42:14 CDT 2018

Recently I bought a --um, I think the platform is generically called an
ultrabook. It's small and contains an SSD, my first experience with this
technology. In short, Holy S**t, Batman!  Methinks the days of hard disks
are rapidly waning. I'm gazing at my Old Faithful, an HP Millenium tower
which has only once given me a problem in her entire life, and thinking
that maybe I should give her a digital Red Bull, so to speak. Currently
she's wearing a pair of hard disks, one 250 GB and one 75GB. I haven't
inspected her innards for at least a decade, being satisfied with the
Belarc Advisor reports to tell me what's in there.

Given its age, I don't know whether it has a built-in SSD location, or
whether I need to remove the skinny hard disk and replace it with the SSD..
I'm hesitant to jump to conclusions regarding any of this. I admit that I'm
thinking that this old 'puter would enjoy a transplant, so to speak.

Kindly excuse all the anthropomorphism, but I think of my names for
computers as all relating to Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, etc. (Monty
Python has figured largely in my life; John Cleese doing the Minister of
Silly Walks still makes me fall off the couch with belly-laughs, not to
mention *A Fish Called Wanda. *I digress. My only available apologies are
thoughts of the coming World Cup, combined with thoughts of Jamie Lee
Curtis -- neither of which concerns the original intent of this message,
which was, does anyone have experience with Micron products, and if so, are
their products reliable? Secondarily, is one of their SSDs easily installed
by a person such as myself, with software skills but seriously lacking in
hardware skills?

A.

Being

--