[dba-Tech] Not for the paranoid

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 13 13:16:53 CDT 2018

Hi Gustav:

At the risk of being political but here is where tech and politics collides. It is more than just Facebook and Google, it is the Five-Eyes and the NSA. Google and Facebook may be the desktop collectors of the data and the companies who have developed systems for extracting useful information and profiling but government agencies are the ultimate storage and data users. Whether they will use their knowledge for good or bad is beyond any countries' citizens ability monitor or regulate.

Europe is making a good set of first steps but other countries have little or no regulations or over-sight. Google and Facebook may be doing their collecting in Europe but their data is stored outside of Europe and outside of any legal controls.

One day we can hope that all countries, in the civilized world, will adhere to decent privacy guidelines...but today is not that day.