[dba-Tech] Power BI

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 08:54:48 CDT 2018

I'm only casually involved with it.  I personally have better tools
for getting the answers I need or people are asking me for.  Like
Access and Excel. ;-)

It's a real good presentation tool and it's got a lot of eye candy for
sure.  We have given our users some nice dashboards that they can
drill into.

We are making datasets by bringing in data from our Oracle data
warehouse tables and from SQL Server Databases.  Probably some Excel
files too.  Some of it is getting put into Azure databases in the
cloud.  I mostly only hear about what is going on in our team status
meetings.  I know they ran into issues with space and licensing and
things of that nature.

The idea here was to try and put the data into the hands of our power
user types to try and reduce the amount of adhoc queries and analysis
that our Business Intelligence group is asked to do.  We still are
using Business Objects for most of our actual reports but it's pretty
clunky for making dashboards and really for making reports for anyone
who doesn't do it often.  Power BI has a nice filtering system that
users seem to be able to work with after only a small amount of
handholding.

GK