[dba-Tech] Widows 10 issues

Tina N Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Mon Mar 5 10:21:20 CST 2018

That would certainly seem to be the best idea at this point.

I'm not entirely sure I can make that happen. She has none of the
documentation I would expect her to have, no installation disks, no
nothing. It's a bit frustrating.

If I could be certain her backup was good, I might simply find the
utility for resetting to factory condition. But, now, I'm not sure that
her WD MyBook backup is good. I plugged it into my computer and my
computer didn't see it, either. And, of course, she can't find the
installation materials for that drive either. (This is just so unlike
her - I'm dismayed.)

Clearly, there was more than one problem. The first was the awfully slow
boot - 20 - 30 minutes (no kidding!). That one I fixed by disabling the
"fast boot" feature. The second problem is that the computer refuses to
recognize the USB optical mouse - which suddenly happened, it seems
about six weeks ago. When I suggested she make sure she had all her
documents and photos backed up, we suddenly discovered that the WD hard
drive was not showing up in the "This PC" file explorer window - but, I
don't really know how long ago that disappearance occurred.

Because Jeanne uses the "Well, I mentioned it several times a few weeks
ago" method, rather than the "There's something wrong with my computer
and I could use a little help" method of getting around to actually
asking for help, a lot of time goes by - apparently close to two full
months. So, there's no recent restore point that will help - and there
are no long ago restore points available - they all got deleted by the
system storage settings. So, I can't just restore the computer to an
earlier stage.

I suspect a Windows 10 update managed to break things, maybe corrupted a
few necessary dll files. I don't have her installation disks. I don't
have a license to download the ISO that Helmut suggested. I have spent
over 10 hours testing cables, searching for updated drivers,
uninstalling devices and letting the computer check for hardware
changes, etc. I wish I knew exactly which dlls the WD hard drive and the
Logitech mouse need - I could go get fresh copies from other computers
and copy them in. I just don't know what to do next.

Dang!

Tina Norris Fields
231-322-2787
tinanfields-at-torchlake-dot-com