[dba-Tech] Bitten by malware

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 05:44:31 CDT 2018

Damn! I got bitten by some malware and I've tried Malwarebytes and a few
other products, and none seems able to get rid of it. Malwarebytes is able
to block attempts to access a website, which is wonderful, but it's
apparently unable to remove the malware itself. Malwarebytes reports the
file that's trying to connect as c:Program
Files(x86)\Shapero\lobstermen.exe, but using Explorer I can't find that
directory.

This is a new machine with not much installed on it yet. My previous
laptop, a Dell Insipiron, had a startup option which would restore the
system to its original state. This machine in an HP ProBook. Does anyone
know whether it has an equivalent option? Since I have so little installed
on it, I'm fully prepared to restore the system to its original state

The product I installed that caused the grief is ImgBurn. I have used this
software before without problems, but when I downloaded it this time, it
came with a bunch of bundleware. Since I got it from MajorGeeks, I let my
guard down, and that was a big mistake.

--
Arthur