[dba-Tech] Microsservices

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue May 15 11:53:10 CDT 2018

The following video is an overview of how Netflix implements its giant streaming network. It could be described as the opposite to the old OOPS theory where consolidation and centralization was the theory of the days for designing a system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ3wIuvmHeM

Netflix, OTOH, uses a system, of redundancy, failover, distributive, load-balancing, scalable... The effort is to create a system with no single points of failure. There is no proprietary code within Netflix as they use all open source products like Casandra, Squid, etc (dozens...hundreds(?) more) and they also post their own advances for anyone to view, use and contribute to:

https://netflix.github.io/

Though none of us are likely to be working with systems of that size, in my opinion, we should all strive to build systems with that level of resilience.