[dba-Tech] Running Docker Windows and Linux Containers Simultaneously

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 10:52:19 CST 2019

I run Unraid on an AMD Ryzen 2600 with 32 gigs ram.  In a few months I
fully expect to buy a 16 core 32 thread Ryzen 3700 to replace the 2600.
Unraid currently has about 6 tb, with about 4 tb of that used by my
video and music collection.  I have a 1tb NVME SSD unassigned, which I
use to host my VMs and docker containers, and a 240gb SSD unassigned for
use with my Windows VM.

I have a Windows 10 pro VM which currently sports 3 cores / 6 threads
and 8 gb RAM.  I have passed through my AMD RX580 GPU as well as a 240gb
SSD, keyboard and mouse.  I use this as a Python development machine,
with TeamViewer running so that I can remote in from my laptop when I am
away from my house.  Eventually I will be doing machine learning / AI on
this machine using the passed through graphics card (maybe?) and python.

I have a Linux Mint VM sporting 2 cores / 4 threads and 8 gb ram.  It
also runs TeamViewer.  I just use this machine to learn about Linux / Mint.

The remaining core and memory is left to Unraid.

I have a Plex Media Server DOCKER serving up my extensive video and
music collection.

I have a MySQL Docker for learning MySQL.  I use SQLite on the Windows
VM with Python for most quick and dirty database things as I learn
Python.  BTW Python really rocks!  The more I use it, the more I learn
about it, the better I like it.

Unraid is a bit of a stretch particularly for a non-Linux guy like
myself.  However it has a good active community and some really good
youtube videos for getting some things set up.  It provides quite a
powerful and relatively easy to set up system for doing the VM / Docker
thing.