[dba-VB] OT: ASP.net not working

Gary Ray GRAY at utah.gov
Fri Jul 25 11:47:46 CDT 2003

John,

Web Matrix includes it's own web server - like the old Personal Web
Server.  If it works on the web matrix port, it should work on an IIS
machine with .Net properly configured.  One not about the web matrix web
server, I haven't been able to get it to use my include files, and
occasionally have problems with css.

I don't know why th aspx extentions would not have installed correct
when you installed either the .Net framework or VS.Net, but here is what
you should be looking to fix it:

Open IIS Administration Console
Right Click on the machine/name and select properties
In the Master Properties section click on Edit
On the Home Directory tab click Configuration
 - You should now see a dialog with a list of file extentions and the
associatied library that interprets the files.

Look in the list for the ASPX extention.  If it is not there you can
add it:
Click on Add
for the executable you will need to browse to a file similar to
-- C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll
and add aspx as the extention

You shouldn't have to restart IIS, but it may be a good idea anyway.

Gary Ray - Application Developer
ASP - ASP.NET - VB - C#
Workforce Information Systems R & D
E-Mail gray at utah.gov

>>> jcolby at colbyconsulting.com 07/24/03 11:15AM >>>
Well, I got it running by using Microsoft ASP.net Web Matrix Server
from the
MS Web Matrix.  However I used a brand new web page also created by
Web
Matrix.  The url is: http://localhost:8080/NewFile.aspx .

Is web matrix setting up it's own IIS. or is it using IIS from
Windows?
This :8080 is not specified anywhere else, i.e., I can just got
localhost/MyWebPg.aspx (or htlm) and get it to run.

The .net functionality STILL isn't working from within Visual
Studio.net nor
directly if referenced as above.

What is going on here?  HELP.

John W. Colby