[dba-VB] Icons on Buttons & form templates in VB 6

Mark L. Breen subs at solution-providers.ie
Wed Mar 5 07:18:51 CST 2003

 Hello All,

 I am curious as to what is considered best practice when using icons or
 pictures on buttons etc

 When an icon is created onto a button, it appears that the application
 retains a link to the icon, or to put it another way, it is passed by ref
as
 opposed to by val.  If this is the case, I will probably get an error when
 roll out on a pc without the same paths as I have (which are the normal MS
 Office setups).

 So I wondered what others do.  Do you move the.ico files to the app.path
 directory and then ship then with the exe?

 The reason I noticed the problem is when I created a form from a template.
 The template lost it's icons.  I also got some other errors relating to
 class modules that were also referenced from the form, but I am not so
 worried about those as I know where they are.

 I am not so much asking one question here as wondering what you guys do
with
 your .ico files and also what your experience has been with template forms.

 Thanks in advance for your time,

Best Regards

Mark L. Breen
Solution Providers Ltd