[dba-VB] SMS through GPRS Modem

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 4 18:07:59 CST 2004

You might be very interested in checking out the extended AT Comamnd
set for the GPRS modem that you are using.
The Extended AT command set includes commands sent in the following
format: AT+xxxx <cr>, the "+" denotes an extended command.

e.g For a GSM modem, the AT Commands to send an SMS is something like:

AT+CMGF=1<CR> // set into text only mode
AT+CMGS="+61555555555" <CR> //where that is your number
a ">" will be received so then type your message,
hit CTRL-Z when finished and your message will be sent.

These Extended AT Commands will be available with whatever GPRS modem
you are using.  These are the commands that have advanced
functionality.
So using something ;ike MSComm OCX to your modem
Comm1.PortOpen=True
Comm1.OutBufferCount = 0
Comm1.InBufferCount = 0

Comm1.Output = "at+cmgs=" & Chr(34) & Phonenum & Chr(34) & vbCr &
strText & Chr(26)
then check for" OK" returned by Comm1.Output
using doevents or timer