[dba-VB] VB.Net - Hook an open program

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Aug 23 15:56:03 CDT 2005

LOL, this is an MDB.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Arthur Fuller
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 4:49 PM
To: dba-vb at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: RE: [dba-VB] VB.Net - Hook an open program

I think that you are going about this is in a seriously wrong way, JWC. IMO,
you create the jobs and schedule them and keep the FE _way_ out of the
picture. Unless I am misunderstanding you, you are putting the FE before the
BE -- which IMO is the biggest no-no in the SQL business. To put it another
way, everything you can blame on MS should be blamed on MS. Set it up in the
BE and DO NOT INTERFERE. Not to say there are no reasons for services, but
from what you have described thus far, this is NOT one of them. Schedule the
job at a frequency you like, then leave your FEs do realize the results.
You muddy the waters too much by asking the FEs to muddy the waters. You are
the worm chasing its tail, IMO, in the direction you are going. AF`s Rule 1:
everything the BE can do, the BE should do.
Corollary: no code affecting scheduled sprocs, udfs, etc. should exist in
the FE.