[dba-VB] VB.Net - Hook an open program NOW: Report generationapplication

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Aug 25 12:38:02 CDT 2005

Nancy,

The system I use started with a spreadsheet of field definitions I was given
by the insurance company (AGI) who is my client's client.  So they sent me
something in spreadsheet format that looked like:

AIGFldName	StartPos	EndPos	FldLen	Format	And I added on from
there
SomeCurrFld	1		10		10		Cur
SomeTxtFld	11		16		6		text

SomeDteFld	17		24		8		Date

Etc

I took this information and pulled it into an Access table.  I then added

MyFldName	MyFormatStr		Critical	IsUsed

Etc

So I now have a single table where I have what their field is called, where
it is in the fixed width string, my matching field name, the format string I
need to use to get it into the format they want, whether it is critical
(don't send without it), whether I actually have any data (field) to go in
that field etc.

What I then did was to build a clsFld that took each FIELD DEFINITION (one
record from this table) and loaded all the data for that record into
variables in the class header.  Each clsFld instance is then saved in a
collection in the supervisor of this class (clsRecord), with the KEY being
the field name in MY database.  I designed my system such that there is a
clsExport class, a clsRecord, and a clsFld.  The record class is
instantiated once, loads the clsFld class instances and stores them into a
collection in the record class.

A method of clsRecord is then called by clsExport (supervisor) class, passed
a single record each time it is called.  The clsRecord processes each field
in the record it is passed - iterates the field collection using dao (could
be done id ADO though).   Basically clsRecord iterates through the fields in
the record passed in, calls a method in the matching clsFld, passing the
data to clsFld.  ClsFld formats the data with the format string (remember
everything is a string in the end), justifies it in the string of the
required length (remember the length field?) and hands back the string to
clsRecord.  ClsRecord then inserts the formatted data into the "bigString"
beginning at StartPos.  When clsRec has iterated all the clsFld instances in
the collection of clsFld, it is done with the record and has a "big string"
with data in specific places in "big string".  clsRecord then hands that
string back to clsExport which is responsible for storing the "big string"
in a file out on disk.  In fact clsExport sets up a clsLog when it opens,
with the path to the file to be created as well as the name - with date  etc
in the name.  clsLog is just called passing it "big String" and it logs the
string out on the disk file.

So... To summarize, clsExport instantiates clsRecord (one instance) which
loads as many instances of clsFld as are required to handle exactly and only
the fields in the FieldDef table that are marked "Active".  Each clsFld
instance "knows how" to format data for one field.  It knows the data type
coming in, the format string to get it in the desired format, the length of
the string that the formatted data is going in, whether it is left or right
justified etc.

ClsExport loads the recordset of data to be exported, calls clsRecord.Format
once for each record to export.  clsRecord calls each clsFld.Format to get
each field's data formatted correctly, loads the formatted data into "big
string" and hands "big string" back to clsExport.  clsExport hands BigString
off to clsLog which gets it into the file out on the disk.

One of the bigger issues I ran into was the "denormalized" data I had to
include.  There are (for example) 1 to N "deductions" to be made from a
claim payment, and I had to get all such deductions out of a normalized
form, into a denormalized form, and then that denormalized data joined to my
main data record, and processed into the "Deduction1, Deduction2,
Deduction3..." fields in "big string".  Thus I have an entire process that
looks at the deductions, the date windows that the deductions are valid
compared to the date window that the payments are for, and then flattens
them into a table.  Obviously the client defined N fields for this data (20
it turns out) so I had to handle a maximum of 20 deductions and get them
flattened into a single deduction record to join back to the main claim
record being processed.

Obviously there is more, but that is the big picture and should be enough
for you to start thinking about how to do things using compartmentalized
code (classes).  The format table is a nicety that allows me to make
modifications to the system quickly and easily as the client changes their
requirements.

In fact I am in the process of porting my system to VB.Net.  This stuff is
just VB.  It makes absolutely no use of Access' RAD or GUI stuff so there is
no reason it couldn't be done directly in VB or VB.Net.  In fact Access is
less than robust in terms of its reliability as I have discovered with this
system.  If I were you though I would think about doing yours in VB.Net
rather than VB6.

http://folding.stanford.edu/