[dba-VB] .Net Strategies for classes connecting to data

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jul 24 09:36:03 CDT 2005

I have designed a class system for my Sysvars.  I have it working for
connecting to data in MDB files, however I am now looking to make it general
enough to load data out of different types of data stores.  Should I:

1) Just require the class user (programmer) to build their connection
string, accept the connection string and load the data.
2) Overload the new() constructor to allow different methods where I build
up the connection strings based on passed in pieces.
3) Allow the programmer to inherit the class and build a new() that does
that final piece however they want.

I want the class to be "just usable" with an Access BE (for my own
purposes).  OTOH, I also want to be able to use the class for connecting to
SQL Server or XML files (specifically) without too much bother.

http://folding.stanford.edu/