[dba-VB] XML Serialization

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jul 24 19:45:41 CDT 2005

Well I made my base SysVar structure serializable and created a SerializeOut
and SerializeIn in the SysVar collection class and voila, exports / imports
of sysvars to XML files.  Cool stuff.  This means that I can now store
SysVars in either an MDB or XML files.

It "only" took FOUR days to figure all this stuff out starting with working
VBA ADO classes in Access.  One more class and I will have the full SysVar
functionality that I had inside of VBA.  The upside though is that learning
how to read/write (manipulate) ADO.Net OLEDB objects gives me the foundation
(and working examples) for much of the data manipulation stuff that I "just
knew how to do" in VBA.  So many properties/methods, so little time.  And
serialization to/from XML is pretty darned cool as well.  I've only
scratched the surface on that stuff.

I must say I don't know what I would do without the internet though.  I own
one pretty good VB.Net book and three different ADO.Net books ad it is still
waaaay faster to just Google for example code.  Once I have working example
code it is easy enough to pick up and understand what is going on.

http://folding.stanford.edu/