[dba-VB] Autolinking front end to back end application

John Eget joeget at vgernet.net
Tue Dec 11 06:21:15 CST 2007

Does anyone have a link to or code to autolink the front end to the backend when a splash screen is opened?

I cannot figure out the issue below

I have a database that works fine in 2003, but when I open it in 2007 I get an error code popup when I open my splash screen that states "Invalid procedure call or argument".  I have isolated it (at least I think so) to the following area within the Splash Screen:

On Error GoTo Form_Open_Error
    ' Check to see if EASILOOK Back End XP is available.
      If modRefreshTableLinks.CheckLinks() = False Then
        ' Try to relink the tables; if it fails, shut down EASILOOK Front End XP Application.
        If modRefreshTableLinks.RelinkTables() = False Then
            DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmSplash"
            'Closes EASILOOK Front End XP Application
            DoCmd.Quit
        End If
    End If

    Call SetEnabledState(True) 'Enables application close and exit capability

    'Call SetEnabledState(False) 'Disables application close and exit capability
Form_Open_Exit:
    Exit Sub

Form_Open_Error:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    CloseCurrentDatabase
    Resume Form_Open_Exit
End Sub

If i comment out the Call SetEnabledState area the form works fine.

I also have a module that states:

Public Function SetEnabledState(blnState As Boolean)
    Call CloseButtonState(blnState)
    Call ExitMenuState(blnState)
End Function

I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

My Tool-References are as follows:
Visual Basic for Applications
Microsoft Access 12.0 Object Library
Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5 Library
Microsoft Visual Basics for Applications Extendibility 5.3
OLE Automation

All of the above works perfectly in 2003

Anyone have any ideas??