[dba-VB] Open a filtered form

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Dec 11 14:07:02 CST 2007

OK, but do you understand ADO enough to do it without all of that stuff? Let
me say that I am not an ADO kinda guy yet, and then let me show you what I
am up against.  Here is some actual "example code" for doing this stuff:

System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

' Creating connection and command sting
Dim conStr As String = "Provider=Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0;data
source=c:\\northwind.mdb"
Dim sqlStr As String = "SELECT * FROM Employees"
' Create connection object
Dim conn As OleDbConnection = New OleDbConnection(conStr)
' Create data adapter object
Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter(sqlStr, conn)
' Create a dataset object and fill with data using data adapter's Fill
method
Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet
da.Fill(ds, "Employees")
' Attach dataset's DefaultView to the datagrid control
DataGrid1.DataSource = ds.DefaultViewManager
End Sub

Now let me ask some questions so that you can perhaps understand how I am
confused...

>Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter(sqlStr, conn)

Does this actually LOAD the data?  Why pass in strSQL if not?

>da.Fill(ds, "Employees")

This obviously fills the data adapter, but is "Employees" the NAME of the
table internal to the data adapter?  Or is it the name of the table in the
database?  Is it just a reference to a dataset inside of the DA?

Intellisense says that I am providing "srcTable" which would indicate that I
am asking the data adapter to go look for "Employees" in SQL Server and fill
DS with that.  If that is the case then why did we do a "SELECT * FROM
EMPLOYEES" in the SqlStr?

This example is just a mess, and I haven't really found examples where they
discuss what is actually happening in any depth.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting