[dba-VB] So much for codesmith

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Tue Dec 11 16:48:48 CST 2007

Hi John,

Wow!  What a PITA...
I gotta say though that when I eval'd it about a year ago I didn't have
any problems.  The nag screen came up when the tool loaded,
asked you to either register or continue trial, that was it!  Your not
running Vista are you?

It's a shame because you would have liked the netTiers stuff.  My
annoyance threshhold is about the same as yours these days so
I would have binned it as well ;-)

cheers

Michael M

To: dwaters at usinternet.com; dba-vb at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [dba-VB] So much for codesmith

LOL, I would have to guess you are right.  I can tell you that I right
clicked on 5 different things and before I could look at them in the
editor I had to answer the nag screen.  Yep, EVERY TIME.

Given how complex this thing appears to be, how much time will be spent
actually doing stuff and how much time clicking OK to the nag screen?  I
can tell you that I will not be finding out.

And yes, it was an error on their part, since (based on testimony from
our fellow listers) I was willing to try and probably buy the product.
But since I can't see how it works, I guess I'll look at some other
product.

For all of you folks thinking about using nag screens... it is just fine
to pop up once when the program installs.  It is OK to pop up once every
time the program opens.  I would have put up with it once every hour
(though it would be an annoyance at that point).  Popping up the nag
screen every time you do anything will instantly lose you customers.

I can tell you that CodeSmith 30 day trial was not installed more than
10 minutes on my machine.  Of course you are welcome to the remaining 29
days
23 hours and 50 minutes of my eval time!  ;-)

Then again you will only get about 2 hours of useful(?) eval over that
30 days since the rest of your time you will spend cussing at a nag
screen.

NEXT?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting