[dba-VB] Visual studio help

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Wed Jul 11 11:04:55 CDT 2007

Oh, that!!  The filtering stuff has gotten progressively worse in VS
with each version.  Mine comes up by default filtered by Infragistics
Software, even though the help pane itself amy have brought up the VB
Language Reference information for whatever I hit F1 on.  You can set
the filter and it should remember it next time you hit F1, but I never
bother because I rock back and forth between VB.Net and the custom help
for the 3rd party tools and SQL Server.  The filter seems to be only
loosely coupled to the help pane, so I wouldn't depend on it for much
unless you like drilling down tree views.

The search tab is what I always use.  You can type in the word or
phrase, set you language, technology and content and see a list of
search hits.  That usually works best for me, kind of like searching the
MSKB.

Charlotte