[dba-VB] VB.Net - Progress Bars

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Sat May 12 09:33:01 CDT 2007

John,

I think you'd better currently use custom events as you do in VBA using
WithEvents.

You can even do more "tricks": VB.NET (.NET Framework) generalizes this idea
of custom events and their sinking - read about the concept of delegates and
how to handle them.

If you're thinking about making your program multi-threaded then you will
have to solve some more complicated issues related to the fact that the
calls from worker threads can't in general case result in form's properties
or form controls' properties updates, IOW an event raised in a worker thread
can't/shouldn't be processed by the main thread running the form...

Here is where delegates can sole the issue or BackgroundWorker component
(http://www.codeguru.com/columns/vb/article.php/c10755/ )...